The Museum Collection
Plaster from Poe's House in Baltimore
Description:This piece of horse hair plaster was removed from the interior east wall of the front room of Baltimore's Poe House and Museum during a wall repair, and the site's Curator Jeff Jerome saved a few pieces of the plaster the repairmen discarded at that time. This piece, which measures about seven inches in width, may be a remnant of the house's original (ca. 1830) plaster and would, therefore, date to the time of Poe's residence in the building from early 1833 until August 1835. Poe lived in the house with his grandmother Elizabeth Poe, his cousin Henry Clemm, his aunt and future mother-in-law Maria Poe Clemm, and his cousin and future wife Virginia Clemm. During this time, he wrote some of his early short stories, including "Hans Pfaall," "Morella," "Berenice," and "King Pest." The house is now owned by the City of Baltimore but is not currently open to the public.
The Poe House and Museum's outgoing Curator Jeff Jerome donated the item to the Poe Museum on October 25, 2012.