The Museum Collection

Gothic Revival High Back Hall Chair from Allan Home

ID #: 1969.2
Creator: New York, Philadelphia, or Boston
Date: ca. 1845
Format: Primary: Mahogany
Dimensions: 42" H X 16.5"W x 18.25" D
Source: Mrs. Maxwell G. Wallace
Collection: Poe Foundation, Inc.
Publisher:
Place of Publication:
Publish Date:

Description:

This chair was purchased at the 1881 estate sale of Poe's foster father's widow, Louisa G. Allan, by Mrs. Samuel Gordon Wallace, whose daughter, Mrs. Maxwell G. Wallace, donated it to the Poe Museum on July 17, 1969. The donor produced the needlepoint seat cover. The chair was used by the Allan's at their Richmond mansion, "Moldavia," where Poe lived from 1825 until 1827.

Categories